This recipe is a snap to make using the Instant Pot to speed things up. You can also make it on the stove top or in a rice cooker
Rice and Peas
- 1 cup Long grain white rice Use Basmati rice if you prefer. Either way, give it a good rinse and drain to get rid of some starch.
- 1 cup canned black beans, pigeon peas, or black-eyed peas 1 cup is half of a 14 oz can of beans. Try cooking from scratch in an Instant Pot. Extra beans can be saved in the fridge covered in a little of their liquid – use them in salads and soups.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Grace Creamed Coconut
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 3 seeds allspice/ pimento gently crush with the side of a chefs knife
- ½ tsp dried thyme use 3 or 4 sprigs of fresh thyme if you have it
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper (optional) for the flavour – leaving it whole doesn't add much heat
- 2 or 3 green onions flattened with side of a knife
- Rinse the rice once or twice with some tap water to remove some of the starch. Use a strainer or just swish it around in the pot and carefully pour off the water.
- Break up the coconut cream into small bits before adding to the pot, to avoid nasty lumps.
- Add all the ingredients . . . water, salt, allspice, garlic, thyme, green onion, coco cream and a scotch bonnet pepper (optional) to the Instant Pot and stir to blend well.
- Put on the lid and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 4 minutes
- When the time's up, allow it to release naturally for at least 10 minutes, before releasing remaining pressure. You can make it an hour or more ahead of time, using the Instant Pot's keep warm function.
- Remove the green onion and thyme sprigs, then fluff it up and serve!
One more thing – if you love my recipes and spices, you can help me out a lot with a few simple clicks. Sign up for my mailing list . . .
If you really like my products, leave a review. Go the shop, click the product and then the “Review” tab. Tell others what you think and share your favourite ways to use my spice products. Order some while you’re at it!
Finally, share posts on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter with your social media friends. Just click on the buttons below to share on your timeline.