Oven baked tortilla chips
Choose this healthy alternative to deep fried tortilla chips. A tiny bit of Bluewater Pepper Farm Hot Smokey Chipotle powder delivers real BBQ flavour to these baked tortilla chips. Tip: If you're on a gluten free regimen, it's best to avoid deep fried chips in restaurants unless you confirm they use separate oil to make them (or they're baked like this recipe).
- 8-10 4″ Corn tortillas I prefer 100% corn, check for gluten free. If GF isn't an issue, you can use any type of tortilla. 8-10 tortillas when cut up will fit nicely on 2 baking sheets
- ½ Tsp Chipotle BBQ seasoning Combine a ¼ tsp each of Bluewater Pepper Farm Hot Smokey Chipotle powder, garlic powder and salt
- 1 Tbsp Corn or olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Put the oil In a small bowl and add the spice, mixing it in well
- Lightly brush the spiced oil mixture on both sides of your tortillas. Stack them up like pancakes.
- Now, the best trick of all . . . Use a large chef’s knife to slice the whole stack into 8 pieces. Be careful as you slice through the stack, applying gentle pressure. First cut the stack in half, then rotate it 90 degrees for quarters. Make 2 more slices to end up with perfect chips. You might want to try this with a smaller stack of tortillas until you get the hang of it.
- Spread the chips in a single layer on baking sheets covered with a sheet of parchment.
- Place the sheets in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes. Depending on your oven, you may need to rotate sheets half way through for an even bake. Test for crispness before taking them out – the chips should be nice and crisp and not chewy. Keep an eye on the chips to avoid over-baking them.
- You might want to experiment with your oven to get the timing perfect every time.
Submit your review
Baked Tortilla chips recipe
Average rating: 0 reviews