Marinate chicken, pork or other meat overnight for a real Jamaican jerk flavour. This recipe makes enough for 3 or 4 lbs of meat.
Servings 1 cup of marinade
- 2 tbsp Bluewater Pepper Farm Jerk Chipotle Seasoning
- 1 to 2 tsp Salt to taste My Jerk Seasoning contains no salt. I find 2 tsp is about right for a whole chicken, but adjust to suit your taste.
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce For gluten free, use Tamari instead (soy sauce is traditionally made from a blend of soy and wheat)
- 1 Chicken bullion cube optional
- 2 tbsp Browning sauce You can find browning sauce in any Jamaican food shop and many grocery stores. Substitute molasses if you don't have a bottle on hand.
- 1 Juice of a lime
- 2 or 3 Crushed green onions Give them a good whack with the flat of your knife
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper cut in half Optional – my seasoning mix is mildly hot. The scotch bonnet adds heat and a nice flavour. It's the favourite of my Jamaican friends. Remove the seeds for less heat.
- Whisk the marinade ingredients in a measuring cup or large bowl, keeping aside the onion and scotch bonnet.
- Pour over top of the meat, ensuring every piece is well coated. Add the onion and scotch bonnet, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. Stir it up a few times while it's marinating.
- After cooking your main, use the remaining marinade for a delicious gravy you can serve over the meat and the traditional side of rice and peas.