Time to shake up your spice drawer!
With so many of us in lock-down and cooking more at home, it’s a perfect time to try some new spices. Whether you’re bored and looking for inspiration or an expert looking to expand your repertoire, I think you’ll love these Bluewater Pepper Farm spices.
Order some Hot Smokey Chipotle, a versatile Mexican inspired spice made from Ontario-grown jalapenos, smoked over apple wood chips. Use it in combination with your usual spices to add a kick of heat and smokey sweetness.
To help you get started, here’s a collection of recipe ideas. Of course you’ll find tons more great recipes online. Above all, experiment and add a little fun to your food while we’re all in quarantine.
Oh, and watch for some new spice products launching over the next couple of months. Sign up for my mailing list to get recipes and be the first to hear about the new products.
Real Jerk seasoning – buy it here!
You can now get my Jerk Chipotle seasoning from the Pepper Farm shop! If you crave the taste of authentic Jamaican jerk chicken, then you’ll love this spice blend. I make it by hand from the finest spices and herbs, including fresh ground Jamaican nutmeg, pimento, and cinnamon. A healthy shot of my Bluewater Pepper Farm Hot Smokey Chipotle, delivers the flavour usually associated with the long, slow bbq that makes genuine jerk. Follow my recipe to make jerk marinade for chicken or pork.
Hey, don’t stop there, this spice blend makes an exotic rub to enhance a range of meat and vegetarian dishes. Try using it in vegan burgers, meat rubs, spreads and casseroles. This blend has a mild to medium heat level, with the chipotle lending some fire.
I’ve tried jerk spice blends you can buy at the supermarket, but I’ve found they tend to fall short on flavour (some bordering on insipid). That’s likely because the first ingredient is salt, and the other ingredients are sourced with low cost in mind rather than quality. This product contains NO salt. You’re in control of the sodium and you only pay for top quality spice!
I’ve been testing various formulations of jerk seasoning for a few years now and I’m confident people will love this blend. I grind the whole spices as needed during processing so you aren’t buying stale stuff! Sealed in a convenient zip-lock package, you’re guaranteed maximum freshness.
Use my Jerk Chipotle Seasoning to make this classic Jamaican marinade for chicken or pork
Marinate chicken, pork or other meat overnight for a real Jamaican jerk flavour. This recipe makes enough for 3 or 4 lbs of meat.
Servings 1 cup of marinade
- 2 tbsp Bluewater Pepper Farm Jerk Chipotle Seasoning
- 1 to 2 tsp Salt to taste My Jerk Seasoning contains no salt. I find 2 tsp is about right for a whole chicken, but adjust to suit your taste.
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce For gluten free, use Tamari instead (soy sauce is traditionally made from a blend of soy and wheat)
- 1 Chicken bullion cube optional
- 2 tbsp Browning sauce You can find browning sauce in any Jamaican food shop and many grocery stores. Substitute molasses if you don't have a bottle on hand.
- 1 Juice of a lime
- 2 or 3 Crushed green onions Give them a good whack with the flat of your knife
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper cut in half Optional – my seasoning mix is mildly hot. The scotch bonnet adds heat and a nice flavour. It's the favourite of my Jamaican friends. Remove the seeds for less heat.
Whisk the marinade ingredients in a measuring cup or large bowl, keeping aside the onion and scotch bonnet.
Pour over top of the meat, ensuring every piece is well coated. Add the onion and scotch bonnet, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. Stir it up a few times while it's marinating.
After cooking your main, use the remaining marinade for a delicious gravy you can serve over the meat and the traditional side of rice and peas.